Performances / Publications
- Focus Radioshow at NPO Radio 1: interview – 2018-10-31 – (NL)
- Algemeen Dagblad: article and video-interview – 2018-11-01 – (NL)
- Live coding meetup at Sensor Lab, Utrecht NL: Talk and Q&A – 2018-11-03 (ENG)
- Algorave at Ekko, Utrecht NL: Live performance – 2018-11-03
- Forever Young at Overkill Festival, Enschede NL: Live performance – 2018-11-24
Mercury is a live coding environment/language with its main purpose to program audiovisual compositions live. It is named after te planet Mercury. Mercury rules the creation and expression of our mental processes. The planet implores us to express ourselves. Communication, intellect and awareness are all within Mercury’s domain. Mercury is about a quick wit, quick thinking. It lets us move from one thing to the next. Mercury not only represents our communication, but also coordination. Mercury analyses, sorts, groups, and makes sense of things.
About the project
The programming environment has its own language that focusses on quick and hands-on live coding, in which the performer has a versatile and powerful language with various pre-designed sounds to choose from and program with. The performer can apply various algorithmic composing techniques in the form of list processing techniques to generate unique patterns in melody and chords or poly-rhythmic structures. Besides that the language is designed in such a way that it is more clear for the audience to follow what the performer is doing. The environment produces sound, but also visuals. So besides looking at the code, the audience is also looking at the visuals that are reactive to the sound or generated by the sound.